Monday 22 October 2012

Background

Back at the start of 2011 I was inspired to get fitter again and try something that would challenge me. My Aunt was terminally ill with cancer and I had previously lost my mum to a cancer related disease so I decided to run - I went for the obvious choice: Race For Life but chose to go for the 10k option to set a bigger challenge. As a non-runner this was tricky as although I studied Sport at university I had always avoided running being a swimmer and water polo player.

Anyway, the run was in July so I started training for it by building up with local runs of about 2-3km. In June I discovered Conkers parkrun and ran my first 5km (well walked and ran).

The 10km was survived in July and I then entered another one for September.

Later in the year I got convinced to do a sprint triathlon in 2012 - why not I thought. Hmm.

Challenges for 2012 were set: run a 10km without stopping, complete 10km in under an hour, complete a sprint triathlon, run sub 25 (with dog) 5km, run sub 30 (minus dog) 5km.

These were all achieved by September and left me thinking about 2013: half marathon, Olympic distance triathlon, Ride London (ballot allowing) plus others to be set. That brings us to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment